Rev. Tim Ellis
Tim has been serving in ministry with Zion since July 2017. He has served in many congregations both as a student and ordained minister since 2001. As well he has served in 4 presbyteries and on various committees at the Presbytery and Conference level of the United Church.
Bruce has been Organist and Music Director of Zion since 2003. He started playing in his home church, Lake Valley United when he was ten years old. He has been playing in various churches in Moose Jaw and surrounding areas for fifty-seven years. He studied under Roy Norberg for ten years. He is also very proud of the fact that he has served as organist for all three churches in Moose Jaw that have Pipe organs, St. Andrew’s United, St. Aidan Anglican Church and presently Zion United.
Jeannette has been a warm, caring presence since December 2005 here at Zion. She is the person that keeps us all in balance here at the church is the friendly, smiling person that greets everyone. She will happily answer any questions you may have.
THE 1880’S: BEGINNINGSIn the early months of 1883 the first Methodist services in Moose Jaw were held in the waiting room of the CPR Depot. By April of 1883 the newly formed congregation had erected its first church building in the zero block of Fairford St. W. In 1884 the second Methodist Church was built on the corner of High Street and First Ave. E. and became known in the community as “The Little White Church”.
THE 1890’S: FIRST PERIOD OF EXTENSIONIn 1890 the Methodist Conference acted to divide the Moose Jaw Mission into two sections: 1) Moose Jaw, Boharm, Carmel and Pioneer (Wesley); 2) Pasqua and Caron. The Methodist congregation of Moose Jaw continued to grow and by 1895 the Moose Jaw Mission had become self-supporting.
THE 1900’S: GROWTH AND BUILDINGThe late 1890’s and early 1900’s were years of phenomenal growth. To meet the needs of a growing congregation the third church building was erected on the site of the second church at 1st Ave. E. and High Street (now the home of St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church) and then in 1906 work began on the present church building on Main Street North. Patterned after Zion Methodist Church in Winnipeg the present church building was completed in 1907 and given the same “Zion Methodist Church”. By the 25th Anniversary in 1908 a full congregational life was established in Zion and the church was the centre of many community activities.
THE 1920’S: CHURCH UNIONThe most significant event in Zion’s life during the 1920’s came on June 10 1925 when Zion gladly entered the union of Presbyterian, Congregationalist, Methodist and the General Council of Local Union Churches in Canada to form the United Church of Canada. Since 1925 Zion has born the same “Zion United Church”.
THE 1930’S: DEPRESSION AND CELEBRATIONBecause of the depression of the 1930’s and drought on the prairies these were difficult years in Zion’s history however the church was maintained and continued to serve through the faith and labour of the congregation. In 1933, at the height of the depression, Zion paused for the happy celebration of her 50th Anniversary.
THE 1950’S: YEARS OF VITALITYFollowing the war years and throughout the decade of the ‘50’s Zion flourished with a new vitality. To meet the needs of the congregation and growing numbers of the young the present Christian Education Building was added to provide more Sunday School space, a new Church Library, a Ladies Parlour, and Auditorium and new Church Offices. The cornerstone of the C.E. Building was laid in 1956 and the dedication was held in April of 1958.
THE 1960’S: YEARS OF CHANGEAs with the whole of society and the church as a whole these were years of change for Zion. With shifts in population to the outer areas of the city Zion sought new ways to minister in a downtown situation and to an aging congregation. By the end of the decade concerns were being raised about Zion’s future. A very significant change came in the 1960’s and early 70’s with the establishment of a Church Council with Divisions to replace the Session and Committee of Stewards.
THE 1970’S: CELEBRATION AND CRISISThe decade began with two great celebrations in the life of Zion – the 90th Anniversary of the Congregation in 1973 and the 50th Anniversary of the United Church of Canada in 1975. However it was soon after that structural defects were discovered in the main church building which demanded that the congregation vacate the building. After much soul-searching, consideration and prayer the decision was made to restore the building and with much support and labour and faith the project was completed. In addition to the structural renovations, the sanctuary was re-decorated and an elevator installed. The restoration of the 1970’s has assured the future of our historic building in this city and was a statement of faith in the future of our congregation.
THE 1980’S: 100TH ANNIVERSARYBy the grace of God we happily see the continuation of a vital congregational life in Zion. And when a history is written in 2083 this decade may well be remembered as the decade of the 100th Anniversary! Celebrations included a presentation of slides featuring moments in Zion’s history and gifts and souvenirs were on sale throughout the weekend.
THE 1990’S: ORGAN RESTORATIONAgain many changes took place. The organ was in need of restoration. Fund raising took place, and in 1993 the organ console was replaced at a cost of over $75,000.00